If using a bootloader with an application, one thing is to to merge the bootloader with the application into a single file. I do this with the ‘SRecord’ tool like this:
srec_cat bootloader.s19 application.s19 -o merged.s19
The SRecord utility is available on SourceForge: http://srecord.sourceforge.net/
The SRecord utility can do much more than concatenating files, and S19 files are just one format it supports. See CRC Checksum Generation with ‘SRecord’ Tools for GNU and Eclipse.
There are multiple ways how you can create S19 files from your tool chain, one explained in Binary (and S19) Files for the mbed Bootloader with Eclipse and GNU ARM Eclipse Plugins.
To automate the merging, you could write a make file, or use the post-build step in Eclipse, see Executing Multiple Commands as Post-Build Steps in Eclipse.
Happy merging 🙂
- SRecord tool: http://srecord.sourceforge.net/
- Using the SRecord Tool: CRC Checksum Generation with ‘SRecord’ Tools for GNU and Eclipse
- Generating S19 files with Eclipse: Binary (and S19) Files for the mbed Bootloader with Eclipse and GNU ARM Eclipse Plugins
- Postbuild steps with Eclipse: Executing Multiple Commands as Post-Build Steps in Eclipse
- Generation S19/S-Record files: S-Record Generation with gcc for ARM/Kinetis
- Overview of different formats: S-Record, Intel Hex and Binary Files