Installation is easy (uninstall a earlier version might be necessary). As for 10.4, make sure you browse to your installation folder (it was not able to find my 10.4 installed version in the default C:\Freescale\CW MCU v10.4\ path:
Then make sure you launch Eclipse with the -clean option (or from the shortcut installed) after installation:
However, although the USBDM device was properly showing up in the device manager, and as well in the debugger settings, I was not able to connect:
From the connection settings everything was looking ok:
Still, I had errors:
Starting 3rd party flash programming... DiMemoryDownload() - DI_DNLD_TERMINATE - Programming memory image... =========================================================== Programming target Device = 'MKL25Z128M4' Trim, F=0, NVA@0000, clock@0000 Ram[1FFFF000...20002FFF] Erase=EraseAll Security=unsecured Total bytes=892 doRamWrites=T DiMemoryDownload() - DI_DNLD_TERMINATE - Programming complete, rc = 7 GDI: => DI_ERR_FATAL DiErrorGetMessage() => Failed to write to target GDI: Failed to write to target
New USBDM Firmware
Reading the release notes, it tells that the OpenSDA USBDM supports USB CDC (similar to the P&E OpenSDA CDC), so I thought that there must be a new USBDM firmware. And I found it here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\pgo\USBDM 4.10.5\FlashImages\MKxx\USBDM_OpenSDA.sx
Programmed the board with the new firmware. However, this did not not help :-(.
Uninstalling and Re-installing USBDM Device Drivers
Next thing to try was to uninstall the USBDM Drivers, as I would have expected that a USB CDC device would enumerate as virtual COM port. Obviously this would need new device drivers. So I uninstalled the existing drivers and installed the new ones. And indeed: now USBDM shows up as a composite (multi-role) device:
And it enumerates sucessfully as an USBDM Serial Port:
Good news: with this I should have USB CDC support as with the original P&E OpenSDA. Bad news: I’m still not able to connect to my board 😦
I uninstalled the USBDM drivers, installed a clean CodeWarrior for MCU10.4, re-installed USBDM and all the drivers. But still: not able to connect to my board.
Puzzled with that, I re-installed the original P&E USBDM firmware, and I was able to connect to the board. Then flashed again the USBDM firmware, tried with USBDM, and: it worked! 🙂
I’m really not sure what the problem is/was. All what I can say is that I was working with low power modes on that board, and it could be that the microprocessor was in a low power (stop, I think) mode, and somehow OSBDM failed to connect to it. I have made so many desperate changes, that I’m not sure any more what was originally on the board. But at least I was able to connect to it with the original OpenSDA.
USBDM supports new CodeWarrior for MCU10.4. The wizard integration works out of the box, and even a problem I have seen with the earlier 4.10.4 version disappears with the new version. USBDM has added USB CDC support which is a great thing. Until I’m able to reproduce my (potential low power mode) problem, I recommend to use the original OpenSDA firmware in case connecting to the board does not work. Other than that: USBDM works very well for me.
Happy Debugging 🙂