It is always great to see if someone is picking up my work and produces something even better :-). In this case, Gerhard Székely took my DIY Portable Video Conference, Sharing and Teaching Device and created an awesome version of it:
The ‘mobile teacher’ device comes with everything integrated into a single enclosure. The enclosure size is about 21×23 cm.
Two magnets hold the cover for the camera compartment:
The camera can be moved out and depending on your needs point in any direction. The enclosure is used as a camera stand.
A really cool idea: Gerhard is using a ‘sliding-in U’ to keep the speakerphone in place. Two pieces of a ‘U’ shaped MDF are glued together to lock the speakerphone:
The CAD files are available on GitHub, for example the STEP file for the camera holder and camera enclosure:
A file for the laser cutter for e.g. 4 mm MDF is included too:
Below is the list of material used. Be free to change for your needs:
- 4 mm MDF (or PMMA) for most parts (sheet size ~A2). There is an extra ‘U’ with a 6 mm MDF to hold the speakerphone: alternatively it can be built with two thinner MDF parts
- 3D printed parts (step file provided)
- 10 mm aluminum rod: buy a 1 meter piece and cut it
- 4x 4x4x4 mm magnets or similar to hold the enclosure: glue them inside the enclosure (clean surface first with alcohol)
- 4x washers as counter piece for the magnets, glued on them on the cover
- smaller wood pieces depending on your needs (e.g. triangular piece inside the enclosure
- wood glue, instant glue, hot glue (e.g. for USB port)
- 8MP auto-focus camera: the same one I used in my previous design:
- USB port (important: one with a long extension cord to be able to place it far from the computer), e.g.
- Speakerphone, e.g.
I love the details of the new design Gerhard did: very clean with innovative ideas I have to pick up for a next iteration of my design :-). I hope this inspires you all for new ideas, and maybe you build now your own portable teaching and conferencing device? Thanks Gerhard!
Happy Conferencing 🙂
- DIY Portable Video Conference, Sharing and Teaching Device
- Source and CAD files on GitHub: https://github.com/ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse/tree/master/Examples/KDS/tinyK20/tinyK20_HSLU_ConferenceStation
- CAD files and software on GitHub: https://github.com/ErichStyger/mcuoneclipse/tree/master/Examples/KDS/tinyK20/tinyK20_HSLU_ConferenceStation/3D%20and%20Laser/Mobile%20Teacher%20Tool%20Rev%202