Ok, this one might not work for everyone. And maybe I’m seeing a ghost. But a nice and real one, at least for me :-). It seems that with the new CodeWarrior for MCU10.4 installation I was able to recover a bricked OpenSDA FRDM-KL25Z board 😯
Here is what I had back in February this year: in my class students receive a FRDM-KL25Z board for the class room projects. As the boards come with the OpenSDA MSD (Mass Storage Device) Bootloader factory installed, they had to install the DEBUG-APP_Pemicro_v102.SDA application to debug it with CodeWarrior. That worked fine for everyone. Except for one student: that one board responded with an error code flashing on the red OpenSDA LED on the board, indicating that the DEBUG-APP programmign failed. So the board refused to program anything different from what was present on the OpenSDA K20.
❓ We really don’t know how we ended up in this situation. The student machine was a normal Windows machine, and it worked fine with another board. I was suspecting that the board got programmed with a wrong file, not sure. But in any case, the board should not get bricked.
I tried to program the board with my machine (Windows7 64bit), and same thing: that OpenSDA was stuck. Not a big deal given the low price of the board. But that was nagging on me. So I have put a sticker ‘only MSD’ on that board.
Trying to Recover
Over the next weeks, I had that board on my desk, and I tried occasional tests to recover it. The KL25Z was working fine, and I was able to debug it with the 10 pin SWD header I have put on it. I added jumpers to disconnect or un-power the OpenSDA chip: it did not help. Well, I was still able to use that board, but not debugging with OpenSDA. Kind of non-ideal, but hey, I still can use it with the Multilink or USBDM ;-).
I was hoping that the new OpenSDA firmware released by P&E from 17-April-2013 could help: nope 😦
Then I tried to program it with the USBDM OpenSDA firmware. Same thing: failed 😦
CodeWarrior for MCU10.4
When I installed MCU10.4, I noticed that it must have installed new OpenSDA USB drivers, as boards re-enumerated again. Same thing for my ‘only MSD’ board: new drivers enumerated. That let me think “hey, let’s try that OpenSDA thing again” with it. So I entered BOOTLOADER mode, copied the DEBUG-APP_Pemicro_v106.SDA from the 17-April-2013 release, and ………………… : No error LED blinking!
And indeed, the V1.06 is loaded properly, and I can debug the board with OpenSDA:
It works with the V1.02 back from Feburary too:
And now USBDM firmware works on it too:
❗ The USBDM firmware does not properly report through the hardware information page, as there is no public information available, how that OpenSDA API works. But if it reports like above, I know USBDM is on it 🙂
Not sure if this applies to other boards, but if you have such an issue with the OpenSDA on the Freedom board, you might give it a try: Install CodeWarrior MCU10.4 with new drivers and see if it unlocks your board too. It did for mine :-). Somehow…
❗ I have not managed yet to get USBDM working with CodeWarrior for MCU10.4 (yet). Working on it…. But it works with the earlier CodeWarrior version for my recovered board.
Happy Unlocking 🙂