I have been asked to share what I’m creating with the laser cutter. So here is one more design: a wooden chest box:
It is made of 4mm plywood, and based on a design on Thingiverse by Lakritis.The original design was for a wedding ring box, but it makes a perfect birthday gift too. I added floral designs from Craftmanspace (http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-patterns/floral-design-elements.html) (thanks to Scorch for that idea, he used them in his design).
I had to tune the laser cutter settings, as one of the first trials was not so successful:
What worked at the end was with the following laser cutter settings in K40 Whisperer using 4 mm plywood:
- Raster Engrave: 2% laser power at 150 mm/sec
- Vector Engrave: 2% laser power at 10 mm/sec
- Vector Cut: 40% laser power at 10 mm/sec
Happy Cutting 🙂
- Thingiverse Wedding Ring box: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2268334
- Craftsmanspace: http://www.craftsmanspace.com/free-patterns/floral-design-elements.html
- Inkscape: https://inkscape.org
- K40 Whisperer: http://www.scorchworks.com/Blog/k40-whisperer-k40-cheap-chinese-laser-control-software/
Very nice, good for You!
I like it.
How long did it take to cut ?
I did not measure it, but I would say it was around 10 minutes total (raster image, engraving and cutting). Most time took the kerv pattern for the top part.
Nice work, I cant see any evidence of ‘the wiggles’ which plagued a few of your earlier cuts. Did you fix the issue or are you just running slower?
I’m fixed it by running the laser head at 10 mm/sec for the vector carving. Below 15 mm/sec it is not noticable any more.