The Schwanau is a little island in Lake Lauerz. It is occupied by a ruined castle, a chapel and a restaurant:
According to archeological research there are human traces back to 1200 BC. The castle was destroyed by a fire around the year 1250. The island has been occupied by hermits several times, and the chapel on it was destroyed 1806 by a tidal wave followed the landslide of Goldau. The infrastructure on the island was renovated back in 2009 after it was purchased by the canton of Schwyz back in 1967. A passenger ferry-boat connects the nearby shore with the island. During very cold winter time the island is accessible by walking over the ice.
Happy Schwanauing 🙂