It has been a very successful racing week in Silverstone/UK: The AMZ Formula Student team, formed by students of the ETH Zurich and the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, won the first overall place at this prestigious engineering event!
The team did very well in the static parts (Business Presentation (Rank 3), Cost and Sustainability (Rank 8), Design (1st Place!). Acceleration (Rank 7) and Skidpad (Rank 16) showed technical problems, and the team did not reach the same performance as in the test runs :-(. During lunch time, the problem has been identifed, but it was only possible to apply a workaround. During the Sprint event, problems appeared again, still resulting into rank 3. The last and hardest part is the Endurance with a 22 km race: and here the team mastered the high temperature on the race track with excellent round times, resulting in the 1st place for that category!
The team reached a total of 921.3 out of 1000 possible points. Outstanding achievement! With this, the team won the first place of the Formula Student 2013 in Silverstone/UK.
At the award ceremony, the team received the following awards:
- Jaguar Landrover Award for Innovation in Propulsion Systems
- AMG High Performance Award for Best High Voltage Powertrain
- Shell Engineering Excellence Award
- Winner Engineering Design
- Winner Endurance
- Winner Dynamics Overall
- Winner Overall
And: It is probably the first time in history, that an electric vehicle has beaten cars powered by a combustion engine in such a motor sport competition! 🙂
- 30. July – 4. August 2013 Hockenheimring, Germany
- 26. – 29. August 2013 Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria
- 13. – 16. September 2013: Varano de Melegari, Italy
- Detailed results: http://www.formulastudent.com/formula-student/formula-student-2013/results
- AMZ Press release: http://www.amzracing.ch/media/news/20130709_de.pdf
- AMZ web page: http://www.amzracing.ch/