I miss my old DELL laptop. Ok, the new one I received from IT services is not bad. It is faster and has a better screen. But I’m not really happy with the new keyboard. With the previous keyboard I was able to do a ‘PrtnScrn’ with a single key press. With the new one I need to press Fn + PrntScrn. And this is impossible to do with one hand:
Impossible to reach Fn+Prnt Scrn with one hand!
Yes, I have two hands ;-). But many times I need to do ‘print screen’ while having my other hand on the mouse :-(.What else can I do?
The good thing with using ARM microcontroller is: there are plenty of tool choices. Even myself, I’m using multiple different tool chains. And while I’m heavily using Eclipse, there are non-Eclipse tool chains which have their advantages too.
The cool thing with CodeWarrior is that beside of Eclipse based, it comes with Processor Expert integrated. And I’m using Processor Expert a lot in my projects. But using Processor Expert does not mean I’m limited to CodeWarrior or Eclipse. So I can use CodeRed or IAR as tool chain with it. And this post is about using Processor Expert with the µVision tool chain from Keil/ARM.
The Freescale Freedom boards like the FRDM-KL25Z feature an Arduino header so I can stack shields on it. Unfortunately, the Freedom board does not generate 5V if not connected to the USB cable. This makes it not possible to be used with many shields like the Adafruit Motor Shield: such shields expect that the Arduino board is providing 5V through the Arduino header (Pin 10 on J9 on the FRDM-KL25Z). So I had to do hardware changes to generate that 5V if I used my board disconnected from USB, e.g. running from batteries through V_IN (pin16 (P5-9V_IN) on the FRDM-KL25Z.
After my first post using a Bluetooth module, things have evolved a bit. The challenge with these Bluetooth modules is: they look the same, but having different firmware. I did not fully realize that until I have ordered another bluetooth module from dx.com:
DX.com Bluetooth Module (HC-06)
That module comes already on a carrier, so I assumed I can use the same driver as for my other module. I was wrong :-(.
For many projects, I have one common problem: I run out of I/O pins on my microcontroller :-(. Luckily, I’m not alone, and the industry has created solutions for this kind of problems. One is to use a shift register as the 74HCT595/SN74HC595 which gives me 8 extra output pins. All what I need to spend are are 3 GPIO pins. Not a bad deal: I spend 3 pins and I get 8 (or multiple of it) on return :-).
So why do I say this for this Arduino Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield tutorial? I have asked in this earlier post with a poll for the next topic (relais, motor or command line interface). Right now votes are mostly for relay. But before I can do relay (or DC motor), I need to first cover the 74HCT559. So here we go to have you ready for the next tutorial 🙂
I’m working with a student on building a small autonomous robot platform, based on the FRDM-KL25Z board. We integrated new software modules, compiled and linked, and then downloaded the application to the board. While debugging and stepping through the application startup, I had this:
The Debugger has lost communication on connection
Outsch! That’s not good. Even worse, trying to connect again to the board failed :-(. What happened?
The Pololu Zumo chassis is nearly perfect for my needs: it is small and compact, and neatly works with the FRDM-KL25Z board. I’m able to use it for line following or maze solving. But it lacks a position (quadrature) encoder on the wheels which is either very useful or even required for the lecture assignments for my next class. The Pololu Zumo chassis mainly has been designed for Robot-Sumo competitions, where such quadrature sensors are not really needed. Pololu offers optical quadrature sensors for their 42×19 mm wheel which I used in this project. So why not adding these sensors to the Zumo chassis?
Having many projects open the same time, and working on them in parallel is a challenge. Ok, the human brain is not built for multitasking, but I still try ;-). What I typically I end up in my Eclipse Problems View to have entries from multiple projects mixed up:
Problems View with Entries for multiple Projects
How to show it that I can fix the problems for ony project only, and not showing all problems from all projects?
I stumbled now twice over a problem, and only after a lot of head scratching (you should see my head now 😉 ) I have found the cause (and solution) for it. In the hope that I can save the readers of this blog some time, here is what happened.
Yesterday the local television station Tele 1 collected film material for a report about the “Julier” Formula Student team. The team did run more tests on the Alpnach air field, and this time the weather was much better compared to the last weekend. With the risk to get sun burned 😉
Until Tele 1 publishes the material, I have here pictures from the scene, the team and the car.
While weather is bad and Switzerland suffers from record high rain water levels, the Formula Student “julier” team was testing their race car this week-end after the rollout. This time to test the 4WD with more torque. Plus water-resistance ;-). So here are impressions, pictures and a video from this week-end: